Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Paper Crane Earrings [9/15]



For Friday's jewelry design class, I made paper crane earrings ! (:



The assignment was to make something primarily out of paper that could be worn as an on-the-body adornment.  A lot of people made really cool stuff.. there was a ring made out of twisted strips of organic-looking paper that twisted into the air.  One girl even made a pillbox hat out of woven strips of black construction paper!  I was so amazed by everyone's work! :o

Anyways.. I got a B :(
I thought I would have done better because these earrings seemed to me to be very aesthetically pleasing, but my teacher said they weren't the most well made and criticized me for my lack of originality : /  I appreciated her criticism, because it's teaching me how to release myself from the mindset that "Success = aesthetics."  I'm starting to really think about creativity, ambition, and craftsmanship when it comes to art, and I have Lauren Abrams to thank, in part, for that. (:

I would love to make more of these!  I'm toying around with the idea of watercoloring them, too.  Leave me a comment if you're interested in some! 
More to come. (:


2 comments:

  1. I'm INTERESTED!!! So interested that I might have to find a way to "borrow" the pair you made. Love them. You're awesome! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thank you!! <3 i shall have to make you a pair. see you in *TWO* days!!

    ReplyDelete